The construction of a train layover facility at the Hamilton GO Centre in the City of Hamilton, Ontario required the extension of a pedestrian tunnel under the existing railway tracks.
The tunnel was constructed in 1931 as part of an effort to provide grade separations between roads and railway tracks. The tunnel is a popular means of movement for residents in the downtown area, and exits at Shamrock Park.
The tunnel is a simple concrete box structure placed on concrete caisson extended below the tunnel level to avoid a deep layer of peat.
The exposed face of the extension maintained the Art-Deco architectural features of the original tunnel structure, including the cast letters of the Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo Railway, which originally operated the railway line.
Vandal-proof lighting was installed to ensure pedestrian safety at all times.
New sidewalks were placed and extensive landscaping was carried out to compliment conditions in Shamrock Park.