Ausenco is an exciting, fast-growth organisation with a history of attracting visionary people who embrace challenges and discover innovative solutions to each and every project. We’re a global leader in engineering, project management and operations solutions for the Energy, Environment & Sustainability, Minerals & Metals, Process Infrastructure and Program Management sectors.
When it comes to ingenuity, we have no boundaries. With diverse projects across the globe, you can dare to do things differently, challenge the status quo and discover your true potential.
Ausenco’s Energy business provides the momentum that helps to shape the future. Our experience ranges across all facets of project execution from Owner’s Engineer to full EPC execution and into operations and maintenance in many sectors of the power industry.
The Opportunity and Job Description
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an Intermediate Instrumentation and Controls Engineer Specialist to join our Halifax team. Reporting to the Department Manager - Instrumentation and Controls and/or Lead I&C Engineer, the Intermediate I & C Engineer will coordinate project activities with Project Engineers and Leads and perform various technical duties in accordance with established procedures.
Our engineers at Ausenco have one thing in common – a commitment to continuous improvement through innovation. We are passionate people who work on diverse and interesting projects, no matter where we are in our career lifecycle.
Responsibilities of the I & C Engineer include but are not limited to:
- Performs I & C activities on projects of various sizes and complexities within the corporate business line.
- Performs I & C engineering calculations in support of control valve sizing, etc.
- Oversees drawing development to “Issued for Construction” status, ensuring all technical requirements are met and clearly illustrated.
- Responsible for I & C information on data sheets and technical specifications.
- Assists with material requisitions, technical bid evaluations and reviewing supplier’s drawing and data documentation to insure compliance with respective project specification requirements.
- Provides technical direction for specific tasks and assigns work to subordinates engineers, or project sub-groups.
- Coordinates technical issues with the other departments on large and small projects including operability and constructability requirements.
- Participates in all phases of design from conceptual to detail, construction support and commissioning support.
- Ensures current technical standards, reference materials, software programs and tools are applied correctly to the design of instrument and control equipment on assigned projects.
- Participates in HAZOP reviews and in other technical, constructability and quality reviews.
- Conducts technical audits, if required.
- Prepares and updates data sheets and indexes.
- Assist in development of Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs).
- Reviews and checks design documents and drawings prepared by others.
- Coordinates technical information and data transfer with other disciplines.
- Provide input to development of project specifications bid packages, construction work packages etc.
- Coordinate interdisciplinary activities; perform interdisciplinary review and squad check on all documents affecting I & C.
- Review packages submitted by consultants, fabricators and vendors to ensure that all related I & C requirements have been met and/or addressed.
- Address fabricator and constructor I & C design queries as required.
- Site and shop visits as necessary to inspect facilities and work, monitor progress and ensure design conformance.
- Participate in hardware and software factory acceptance testing (if required).
- Participate in site commissioning and start-up (if required).
Skills, qualifications and experience
Your attributes and accomplishments will include:
- Principles, theories, and practices of engineering – specifically APEGA and APEGS requirements.
- Principles of instrumentation application, sizing, selection, installation and operation.
- Principles of control system application, selection and operation, including DCS, SCADA, PLC, and motor control.
- Principles of data transmission and protocols such as Foundation Fieldbus, HART, wireless Ethernet and smart instrumentation.
- Experience in HAZOP participation, P&ID design and development and preparation of technical specifications.
- Knowledge of industry trends and technology advancements.
- Practical knowledge, principles and methods of engineering in oil & gas production and refining & upgrading industries.
- Problem solving abilities to analyse or identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts associated with information or data to draw conclusions.
- Intuitive understanding and appreciation of group dynamics/team development.
- Flexible team member that can quickly adapt to different project dynamics.
- B.Sc. in an engineering discipline or equivalent.
- Preference of minimum 3 years’ experience related to I & C design with experience in SAGD, refining and production facilities within an EPCM environment.
- An active professional member or eligible for professional membership with APEGA (Alberta) and APENS (Nova Scotia).
- Applies engineering stamp and seal to engineering documents produced under his/her direction.
To be part of an exciting professional organization with offices around the world, we invite you to submit a detailed resume directly to this posting.
We thank you for your interest in this position. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Ausenco is an equal opportunity employer.
Challenge your boundaries