Rafael leads a team of pipeline specialists in our Brazil office. He brings over 15 years of project experience designing, testing and commissioning pipelines that transport slurry, tailings, water and ethanol. His extensive technical experience includes hydraulic calculations, flowcharts, transient studies, laboratory tests and lay-outs of pump and valve stations.
Rafael is recognized worldwide in the pipeline market. His achievements consist of operations monitoring, proposing new solutions, understanding the operational methodology of the pipelines, performing hydraulic studies, recommending improvements for cost effectiveness and in adding value for each client.
Rafael has been involved in the development of several key pipelines in South America, including Samarco, MBP and Minas-Rio. He was also on the team which designed the world’s first commercial long-distance bauxite ore slurry pipeline.
In addition to his field work, Rafael has co-authored numerous conference papers for the Rio Pipeline Conference and Exposition in Brazil. These include:
- Commissioning of The Anglo American Minas Rio Iron Concentrate Pipeline (2016)
- Pumping foamy slurries – Chemical treatment for optimized operation (2015)
- Challenges in the design of tailings disposal (2013)
- Coarse Iron Concentrate Slurry Transportation (2011)
- Start-up of the Second SAMARCO Iron Concentrate Slurry Pipeline (2011)
- Pipeline Design Approach (2011)
- Slurry Pipeline Technology – An Overview (2009)
Rafael’s field experience includes the following project commissioning:
- 8km bauxite tailings pipeline in Brazil
- 7km iron concentrate pipeline in Brazil
- 400km iron concentrate pipeline (second pipeline) in Brazil
- 400km iron concentrate pipeline (third pipeline) in Brazil
- 6km gold tailings pipeline in Brazil
- 244km bauxite pipeline in Brazil
- 529km iron concentrate pipeline in Brazil
- 10km iron ore tailings pipeline in Brazil
- 6km iron ore tailings pipeline in Brazil
- 6km iron ore concentrate pipeline in Brazil
Rafael specialises in:
- Technical and commercial feasibility assessments for long distance concentrate, tailings, water ethanol pipelines
- Pipeline route evaluation and selection
- Pipeline constructability assessment
- Corrosion and wear assessment
- Pipeline system commissioning and startup
- Pipeline system auditing and debottlenecking
- Conceptual, basic, detailed design and construction supervision.